If you’re looking for something fun and interesting to do in New York City then try this You’ve Got Mail self-guided walking tour of the upper west side.
1. First stop is Riverside Park where Joe and Kathleen meet at the end of the movie. It’s in the park at 91st street. There’s a perfect little garden.
2. Zabar’s on Broadway is where Joe saves Kathleen from an embarassment at the supermarket. “Happy Thanksgiving!”
And where she unsucessfully tries to avoid him.
3. They have hot dogs at Grey’s Papaya on 72nd and Broadway.
4. Joe sees Kathleen at Starbucks on 81st and Broadway.
5. We hit both bookstores on Broadway as an homage to Fox Books and The Shop Around the Corner.
Barnes and Noble on Bway btn 82nd and 83rd and Westsider Rare & Used Books on 80th and Bway.
6. Verdi Square is where Joe and Kathleen cross paths without even knowing it at the very beginning of the movie.
7. Most important of all is Cafe Lalo on 83rd where Joe goes to meet Kathleen for the first time face to face (but not really cause they’ve already met)”She had to be! She had to be!!”
I recommend the apple pie with rosemary caramel!! Delish.
Thus ends our self-guided tour. The upper west side is a delightful part of the city made even more enchanting with pointed You’ve Got Mail quotes. Give it a try and let me know how it goes and if you discover anything new and exciting to add to the tour!
photos by Audrey Carlson