I don’t know about you, but growing up with reruns of Happy Days meant the king of cool was none other than Henry Winkler’s Arthur Fonzerelli…aka The Fonz or Fonzie. He was always there to shed a well-timed “Eyyyy” on the situations Richie and the other Happy Days gang would find themselves in.
This should be no surprise to you…I’m a Carrie Bradshaw through and through. I’ve taken the Buzzfeed quiz, so I know it’s true! It’s the hair…the fashion sense…the love of shoes…the independent lifestyle. And while I haven’t been on the dating scene in quite a while, in the past…I was all about that bass. If you need a refresher course in my dating adventures, click here!
I’ve been on my fair share of dates, just like Carrie. I’ve kissed my fair share of guys, just like Carrie. And…well, that’s where the comparison in dating ends!!
One of the things I love about Carrie and can identify with her most is her single status, which lasts well into her 40’s in the show and the movie. And while she does eventually tie the knot with Mr. Big (another place we differ, cause I’m an Aiden girl) she spends plenty of time solo.
Me? I’m not looking for Mr. Big and I do enjoy being solo. That doesn’t mean there isn’t room for an Aiden or a Mr. Big or a Burger or a Petrovsky or any of the other kinds of men Carrie dated and loved on the show. It does mean that if none of them come along, me and my hair are perfectly fine with that! We’ve got other things to do…
Day 5: Beverly Crusher from Star Trek: The Next Generation
With a brand new Star Trek on the horizon, I’ve been looking back at some of the episodes from my very favorite Star Trek series…The Next Generation. And one of my favorite characters Dr. Beverly Crusher. The constant (and only) shipper for my very favorite Starfleet Captain…Captain Jean Luc Picard! Here’s my take on the classy, sassy Doctor!
With the upcoming seventh season set to premiere this weekend, I’m not here to just prepare you for what’s about to go down as the most exciting time in television history, but also in terms of your training routine. Counting down seven kingdoms, three dragons, and a plethora of characters, tuning in to this globally popular HBO show will put your stamina and stress levels to the test while having plenty of fun in the process!
While it’s true that we’re living in a digital age, finding motivation from fictional and real life characters we see on-screen isn’t a quite as new of a trend as you may think.
While some look at inspirational individuals, others look to television shows and/or films for characters they can relate and/or aspire to. We watch movies such as 300 or X-Men, which instantly sparks an interest in us to achieve that Leonidas or Logan physique. When it comes to TV shows, there are the likes of Game of Thrones, in which characters do not only embody mental but also physical strength.
For me, watching a single episode of Game of Thrones (GoT) is like doing three sets of ten burpees. Due to the unpredictable nature of the show, it gets our heart rate up, leaving us on the edge of our seats in the process. In more ways than one, these are essential factors that come in handy in our home workout.
If you also happen to be a diehard GoT fanatic, I’m sharing with you a Game of Thrones-inspired workout ideal to get ready for the impending season premiere.
It integrates an array of exercises into the show, coming up with a viable training regimen you can easily do at home. Think of it this way: you’ll no longer be pegged as a “couch potato”, as you get a decent adrenaline-inducing session even while watching your favorite television show. Ready? Here we go!
– If a character gets speared, stabbed, or generally killed – do 10 burpee tuck jumps. This exercise is a sure-fire calorie burner that strengthens and tones your lower body, making your kicks and movements more explosive. It also has fantastic cardiovascular benefits.
– If a character says “Your Grace” – do 10 pop push ups. This exercise is great for building upper body strength. In addition, it reinforces your pectoral muscles and arms.
– If you see a dragon or a dragon’s egg – do 10 isolated alternating towel slide lunges. This exercise may seem like a simple movement for the legs and buttocks, but in actuality, it has plenty of benefits. Aside from improving your balance and your core, lunges develop hip flexibility.
– If Tyrion Lannister drinks or has a drink in hand – do 10 chair dips. This movement is perfect since watching TV normally entails sitting on a chair or a couch. When done right, it activates your triceps.
– If ‘Cersei Lannister’ does something bad – do 20 core crunches. Naturally, when it comes to home workouts, we can’t forget about engaging the center of it all, the most important muscle group. By developing your core strength, you improve power, speed, and precision.
Core Crunches. Video credit: Ruben Garcia YouTube Account
Aside from being a dedicated Muay Thai practitioner, Johnson is a huge pop culture fanatic. One of his wildest dreams is to visit the Game of Thrones set and maybe meet some of the actors. Johnson is also a contributor at BookMartialArts.com.